Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Pastas Anonymous

Hello. My name is Alysun and I'm a pasta addict.

It started with Penne. In college I worked at Ragazzi's and the head chef paired the noodle with an AMAZING spicy marinara. I was fully educated about the dangers of "gateway pasta" but naively thought it would never happen to me. Quickly my pasta of choice switched to Angel Hair. It's so light, so stringy. Hmmm, you can twist your fork for days. Then I went through them all, Rigatoni, Rotini, Elbow, Manicotti, Orzo, Ziti and even...I'm so ashamed...Wagon Wheels.

After I had children I toned it down a bit but Multi-colored Bow Tie became a favorite. Now, today, it's Wheat Linguine. I had it twice already. Twice...in one day! I need help. For lunch I smothered the flat pasta with portobello mushroom marinara and for dinner it was pesto sauce and asparagus.

Back in 2003 I quit cold turkey during the Atkins craze. For two whole weeks I was pasta-free! I lost eight pounds, bought new bluejeans but shortly fell off the wagon.

My addiction to pasta is definitely a love/hate relationship. I adore the texture, the plethora of sauces, and that super full feeling you can not experience with any other food. I despise the cravings, the looks from the Food Lion check-out girl, and the $60 lost on those jeans.

However, in this era of hope I'm trying to stay positive and strong...and at least I'm now choosing wheat pasta. Right?

1 comment:

Leslie Ruth Petree said...

My husband now openly mocks me when he sees me reaching for that medium saucepan. "What are you having for dinner? Oh...wait...could it be...PASTA?"

That's fine. Mock me. Just don't take away my rotini, butter and parmesan cheese.