Monday, January 26, 2009

Good Friends

I remember a conversation my father and I shared many moons ago. I was around thirteen when he informed me that in my 30s I would be lucky to have half as many friends as I did then, so not to worry about missing a silly sleep-over. I thought he was certified Ka-Ray-Zie! For one thing, I would never be 30...that was way old. And second, girl friends rule and boys drool. And not attending that sleep-over was detrimental to my bra size knowledge, duh!

He was right. Go figure.

The childhood friendships that I have managed to preserve will forever feed my soul. The bond between us who cracked up during prank calls, shared tears because of impossible parents and Algebra, harassed gym teachers, and perfected the MC Hammer in our tight-rolled blue jeans is thick and sacred. We survived our teens...and our twenties (that's another post or two). How? I'm not so sure.

We are now in our 30s and life is beginning to make sense. I understand and look forward while smiling at the past. However, sometimes I can't help but to think...

"We're adults. How did that happen and how do we make it stop?"

No comments: