Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Cheers!

New Year's Eve used to be a time to par-tay. Now I'm hoping that I don't have to stay up past midnight because whenever I do I end up super grouchy and yell at my kids all day.

New Year's Day used to be a time to sleep 'till noon to avoid a hang over, wake up gradually and then enjoy a meal cooked by somebody else. Now I hope that my son stays in bed until "his clock turns green" and we can enjoy a somewhat peaceful family meal, either breakfast, lunch or dinner (I'm not picky). And by peaceful I mean no tears, no whining, and no spills...I'll still have to get up every other bite for ketchup or extra napkins or more tea.

Then I would spend an hour getting ready for the big par-tay. Now I take a five minute shower so I can leave as soon as the sitter arrives. Then I would drink margaritas and too many beers and munch on chips and salsa. Now I may sip a mimosa or two and enjoy a real dinner. Then I would play cards or spoons or the infamous vegetable game (butter bean, butter bean calling on corn, corn!). Now I play Scrabble or The New Yorker or Wii (tennis rules!). Then I would hope to have a bed with sheets. Now I know that my comfy pillows await.

Then was fun and carefree but often empty. Now is a different kind of fun but always full.


Check out the pic of me and my hubby our first New Year's after we were married. Hmmm, carefree alright!


No comments: