Thursday, December 4, 2008

MaBet's Playhouse

My grandmother transformed an empty corner of a guest room into a child's wonderland. It is complete with a mini-kitchen and baby bassinet. A small shelf contains real food such as (empty) pancake syrup bottles, now antique metal spice boxes, and milk cartons. Eye level with a child a real frame hangs on the wall with picture art cut from a New Yorker.

Old lonely baby dolls with handmade clothes are the permanent residents. However, the magic does not go unnoticed. My son loves that space just as much as I once did. I can count on one hand how many times he has played there but whenever MaBet is mentioned he smiles as he remembers baking muffins and writing letters in her playhouse.

As Christmas nears I look forward to visiting with aunts and uncles, eating ham and homemade pie, and popping bubble wrap, but the kid in me is most excited to join Dylan in MaBet's Playhouse.

No comments: