Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Guilty As Charged

Guilt.

The word itself makes my shoulders slump and the corners of my mouth droop. I faintly remember the feeling when I was young, I guess that just comes with the territory of divorced families no matter how hard everyone tries to be neutral, but nothing compares to the guilt I feel as a mom.

If my child watches back to back cartoons, eats too many sweets, wants me to put him to bed instead of his daddy, when I have a baby sitter, when I haven't cooked a hot breakfast or changed the sheets or mopped the floors or scrubbed the bathrooms, when I miss a meeting or tell someone that I don't have the time or that I'm too tired, when my baby goes to bed a little dirty, when her nose is runny and I put off taking her to the doctor one more day, and when I forget to brush their teeth I feel guilty.

Is it Nature's way of holding us accountable? Is it payback from our mothers? Maybe a combination of the two?

My goal this new school year is to feel less guilt. I think if I'm more organized and prioritize what is most important to my family I can get rid of this unwanted guest.

Any suggestions?

No comments: