Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Sundays

I grew up hating Sundays. It was uncomfortable packing my bags wanting to go home to Mom but not wanting Papa to feel bad that I was ready to leave...then going home to answer one million questions about how we spent our weekend.

I grew up believing that the Bible was literature, just another text book that I didn't want to read. Being in church was extremely uncomfortable. I avoided singing hymns and despised the smell of breath mints shadowing nicotine.

Now I look forward to Sundays. My little family is tucked pretty tight right here on "Daddy's day off." Church has become an old friend, one that I've been missing something terrible. Singing brings me closer to God and I love the little old ladies and their fancy hair pins. And as I learn more about the Bible it's beauty is astonishing. It is history, it is poetry, it is guidance, it is love.

No comments: