Monday, February 2, 2009

Spinning

This morning I bravely took a spinning class at the gym even though the Superbowl ribs and beer were telling me otherwise. At first I thought starting the week off so healthy would veto the damage done last night. Then I became anxious about being on that bike for a whole hour. Could I do it? Once the music started pumping and my heart caught up I knew I had made the right decision...luckily, endorphins took over.

My Sharona was the third song to blast as I was climbing an imaginary hill and it triggered a memory. Remember the movie Reality Bites? I love, love, loved Lelania (Wynona Rider) and Troy (Ethan Hawke) and the quirky dance to My Sharona in the convenience store.

Lelania, Troy, Vicky, Sammy and Michael eased a tough time during my teen years. One weekend four of my girlfriends and I watched Reality Bites seven times. Just before my senior year I moved to a new town and came back "home" for three days prior to starting my new school. We camped out in the living room that was usually parent free, smoked cigarettes, and sighed every time Ethan Hawke graced the screen. We wore out the phrases "Don't Bogart that can, man" and "Hey that's my bike!" and shared our dreams of being out in the real world.

That sound track remained a staple in my cd player throughout 1995 and occasionally I pull it out to torture my husband with Lisa Loeb's Stay (I Miss You) or Lenny Kravits' Spinning Around Over You. Oh yeah, I'm cool like that.

This first week in February of 2009 I'm feeling strong and silly. I survived that spinning class just like I survived being the new girl. My words of wisdom (because I'm oh-so-wise) this morning are...if you ever feel a little intimidated or jittery (whether from nerves or a pork and alcohol combo) try letting your mind, body, and soul spin with a favorite memory.

No comments: