Saturday, September 20, 2008

The Other Side

I have started reading Wicked by Gregory McGuire and am intrigued. Creative only scratches the surface to describing his writing. One critic compared Elphaba, the main character, to Alice and the Hobbit. I have to agree.

This book is about the Wicked Witch of the West ~ her side of the story. Never thought I'd feel compassion for that mean green character. How often do we base our opinions, thoughts, feelings towards someone on just one side of the story?

First impressions can fall under the same umbrella. I'd hate for someone to base their opinion of moi in the morning on the way to pre-school. I need at least 2 cups of coffee and a shower before I can be somewhat charming. Nothing says "needs help" like greasy hair, raccoon eyes, and continuous yawning.

1 comment:

Leslie Ruth Petree said...

I love when people comment on my blog AND have a blog of their own :)

So good to hear from you! Thanks for your prayers...

I agree, "Wicked" is a *wonderful* book. It captured my imagination in a childlike way while really challenging my grown-up brain. The musical is also AMAZING. A wee bit different from the book but the same themes come through.

And as for Ethel gloves, I have GOT to get Audrey's in the mail to her...I'm such a bad cousin.