Sunday, March 13, 2011

Roller Skating

When was the last time you laced up a pair of roller skates?

Aside from today, I think I was around 12 years old and listening to Slippery When Wet in a friend's driveway. She had a pink Sony tape player propped in her bedroom window so we could sing "Livin' on a Prayer" as we practiced shooting the duck.

Today Justin Bieber took the place of Jon Bon Jovi and a wooden rink replaced that concrete rectangle. The biggest difference, however, was the pain from falling. My 33 year old bones do not bounce like those of a preteen. I only fell once (and blame it 100% on my son, Dylan) but will feel the bruise for days to come.

Despite feeling ancient (from the pain and when the rink DJ called Will Smith's 1995 hit "Miami" a classic) I thoroughly enjoyed roller skating. I wonder what other kid activities I've been missing? Being a parent sure is a great disguise!

3 comments:

Leslie Ruth Petree said...

A song from 1995 is now a classic?! Oh dear lord...

Covey said...

Where did you go? I would love to roller skate again! The kids have thier own skates and I remember skating around to "The locomotion" with my girl scout troop. Fun times!

Alysun said...

Star City in Rocky Mount is where we went, Covey.

Leslie, I know, right?!!