Thursday, August 21, 2008

Salty Peaches

Salty peaches are not good. In fact, they are disgusting.

Tonight at dinner I had a lovely bowl of fresh peaches with plump blueberries on the table before anything else. Oh, and the salt and pepper shakers. I was soooo excited to have something delicious and healthy as a part of dinner. The past few nights have been take-out or processed boxed, canned, or frozen junk so you may imagine my delight as I peeled the juicy peaches and washed the berries.

My ancestors would not believe what I had to go through to get fresh fruit. First, I had to strap my two and half year old and a two month old in their car seats. Then I had to drive 20 minutes to a local farm stand, put Big Brother's shoes back on, unload the youngins, and strap Baby Sister into her Baby Bjorn in order to have my arms free to gather.

While I was checking out the produce and keeping Big Brother from touching every last tomato I managed to bag snap beans, sweet potatoes, and squash. As I headed to pay for my loot I smelled them...the peaches. The warm summer day brought the sweet aroma to me with a purpose. The blueberries were beside them for reasons other than impulse buying, I just know it. I added the two fruits to my purchase right after quieting Baby Sister with her paci and telling Big Brother to put his shoes on right this minute.

While walking towards the car I got the feeling that everyone was glad to see us go, a feeling that's becoming a bit too comfortable. It took my son forever to walk across the gravel parking lot as he did not put his shoes back on right that minute or the rest of the day. Because I am the master of multitasking I was making sure he didn't get hit by a car or tractor as I took her out of the carrier and put her back in her car seat. Then I strapped him in his car seat and loaded my goodies and amazingly drove home with a smile. Happy because of my goodies not because of Baby Sister's hungry cry.

I know I'm dragging out this story but I want you to understand the disgust behind the salty peaches.

Back to the delicious bowl of fresh fruit on my dinner table tonight... I was going to gobble all that I could during our meal and eat the left overs for dessert with Cool Whip while watching Grey's Anatomy (even if it's a rerun). That dream faded as I heard, "Mom, I put pepper now!"

In slow motion I turned to see my son standing over the prized dish and reaching for the pepper. "Salt, Mommy, I did salt," said the minature creature I used to adore. Ruined. I even tried to rinse and sprinkle with sugar.

Salty peaches are not good. In fact, they are disgusting.

No comments: